During the war Ferdinand ‘Ferry’ Porsche and a handful of his proven, faithful employees had started work on development number 356 in their workshops moved to the town of Gmünd in Kärnten. The first design drawings were completed on 17 July 1947 and on 8 June 1948 the Kärnten state government issued a special permit homologating the car.
Returning home after being held by the French as a prisoner of war and bailed out of custody by his family, Professor Dr.-Ing.h.c.Ferdinand Porsche, Ferry’s father, stated right away that ‘every single bolt was just right’. No 1 was then followed by a small series of 52 additional cars. Porsche No 1, a mid-engined roadster, is completed and homologated in the Austrian town of Gmünd. The engine displaces 1131 cc and develops maximum output of 35 bhp(26 kW). The first few 356 coupes are made of light alloy. (Source Porsche)
Trademark Disclaimer: Vintage Replicar is not associated in any way with Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Porsche Cars North America Inc. or Porsche Cars Canada Inc. Any word, phrase or image that in any way resembles anything to do with the Porsche name or organization are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. Historical video and photo gallery is for educational and historical purposes only.